One feature that we’ve gotten a lot of requests for over the last couple of years is the ability to create targeting rules for your displays based on the location of visitors to your website. And now we’ve given you three great, self service ways to build geography based targeting rules for your display campaigns.
These targeting rules vary depending on how narrowly you want to choose the area where a visitor is located to show your pop ups, flyouts, banners, bars, etc. and is based on their IP address.
- Country: Choose which country a visitor is in and whether to show or not show a display to that person.
- State/Region/Counties: Choose the state, county or region a visitor is in and whether to show or not show a display to that person (US, Canada, Australia & UK only).
- Zip code: Choose the specific zip codes of visitors and whether you want to show or not show displays to them based on that information.
Why would you want to use geography based targeting?
While there are lots of reasons you might want to show an offer or message to people based on their location, here are three that we think are particularly useful.
- Manage your shipping costs and offers: One of the more compelling offers you can make to a shopper is to offer free shipping. But depending on their location, eating those shipping costs may turn a new customer into a money loser. Now you can show your shipping offer only to shoppers in locations that make it a win-win for your business.
- Promote local specials or hours: If you have brick and mortar locations, each one may have different specials or hours. Put the most relevant information in front of your visitors by telling them about what is going on closest to them.
- Highlight local product availability, issues or regulations: Sometimes things impact your business for shoppers in one region but not another. For example, bad weather in certain places may affect shipping times. Or you may have a product that has restrictions in certain states. Using Privy displays with geo targeting help get the local message to the people it affects most.
For example, show your shoppers based in Hawaii that they are within your delivery zone or that free shipping is available for all US and Canadian shoppers.
Ready to get started? Get your Geo On!
Note: Country targeting is included in Commerce and Growth level plans.
Zip code and region based targeting is only available on Growth plans.
(Not yet on our Growth plan? Schedule a demo here.)