Free SMS Marketing Templates
Click any template to copy it in your clipboard. Customize your template in our Text Editor. Preview exactly what your SMS contacts will see on their phones.Try a Free Template
60+ SMS Marketing Templates
SMS Template Editor
We recommend keeping your text messages under 200 characters.
Try a different template
The 10 Types of Marketing Texts Your Brand Should be Sending
1. After-signup texts
Automatically send these to your subscribers right after they sign-up and opt-in for text messages. Include a 'welcome discount' to encourage that first purchase and keep them coming back for future offers.
2. Abandoned cart savers
Automatically send to your SMS contacts when they leave your store without finishing their purchase. Let your contacts know you saved their cart, but only for a limited time. This can be done in Privy with the cart.url personalization token.
3. Back-in-stock texts
Use this type of marketing text to build excitement and FOMO for best-selling items that are back in stock. Some brands may even let customers know how much inventory they have left before selling out again.
4. Black Friday & Cyber Monday texts
Use this type of marketing text when the holiday season approaches and you're looking to drive attention toward your best offers of the year. Just be sure to let your contacts know when this super-sale ends.
5. Brand marketing texts
Use this type of marketing text for non-promotional notifications. For example, if you just released a new podcast series, video tutorial, product quiz, or other content that your SMS contacts could find valuable.
6. Customer win-back texts
Automatically send to your SMS contacts when they haven't been active in a while. These texts are also great if you sell a product that customers typically buy every month, e.g. pet food. Your customers will appreciate the friendly nudge.
7. Limited-time offers
Use this type of marketing text for flash sales, clearance sales, or other one-off sales events your SMS contacts may be interested in. Limited-time offerings are a great way to build urgency before time runs out.
8. Loyalty Program texts
This type of marketing text can be used a few ways. First, you can offer your VIPs early-access to items before the general public. You can notify members when they're eligible for a reward item. And you can save your most exclusive promotions and deals for rewards members. Make your loyalty program worth signing up for.
9. Post-purchase texts
Use this type of marketing text to update customers about their purchase. Whether that's sending them order confirmation details, shipping status, or asking for a review after the purchase, your customers will appreciate being kept in the loop.
10. Product launch texts
Use this type of marketing text to update customers about your latest product launches. These could be site-wide seasonal launches (like new Summer apparel) or launches that are personalized to segments of customers. You can do it all in Privy SMS.
How to get started with Privy SMS
Add Privy to your Shopify store, grow your SMS marketing list, and start sending money-making text messages today.
Grow your SMS list
Write your text messages
Set your trigger settings
Segment your audience
Launch your SMS campaign
Choose from a library of pre-built popup templates and start capturing SMS contacts. You'll be able to send this list your product announcements, cart savers, limited-time coupons, and more.
Now that you have an SMS list, it's time to write your text messages. For abandoned cart texts, let your customer know you saved their cart. For broadcast texts, send a link to your latest holiday campaign, a limited-time coupon code, or a reminder if a customer hasn't shopped in a while.
Set the minimum cart value required for your abandoned cart texts to send. You can also set a maximum cart value. Finally, set the time limit before your cart saver texts automatically send to customers.
Decide if you want to send broadcast texts to your full SMS contact list or segmented lists. Choose from dozens of personalization settings to ensure your texts meet the right audience.
After growing your list, writing your texts, setting your targeting and triggers, it's time to launch your campaign and watch your SMS sales grow!
What customers think of Privy SMS
"Privy is easy to navigate and create newsletters to send out to our customer base. Privy Text has been easy to use as well, it's a fast way to send out messages to those who have signed up for text! Customer support is always helpful when I am having an issue, they respond fairly fast and get the job done."
– Brindy N.
– Bleu Boutique
"Privy has many templates. Email and SMS combined. It's simple to find what pop-up you're looking for and customize it the way you want. And they send thank you emails once someone signs up. Every other app I found is complicated or everything is separate."
– Laken B.
SMS Marketing FAQs
Why should you send texts with 200 characters or less?
Whether it's a seasonal sale or a new product drop, you'll want to get straight to your offer when texting your subscribers. This gives you the best chance at getting someone to click your link and purchase something from your website. Going over 200 characters can impact the number of people who read your entire text.
When is the best time to send marketing texts?
Three times you should absolutely send your marketing texts are:
- Immediately after someone signs up to receive texts. This is called an after-signup text and it's important to welcome new subscribers with an offer to nudge them toward their first purchase.
- When someone abandons their cart. You should automate these texts to send when someone leaves items in their cart to encourage them to complete their purchase.
- When people get paid. Data tells us shoppers are more likely to purchase something when they receive their paychecks. This means that the last week of the month could be a great time to hook them with an attractive offer via text.
When is the worst time to send marketing texts?
Three times you should absolutely not send your marketing texts are:
- During quiet hours. Due to SMS marketing compliance, you won't be able to send text messages between 8pm and 9am in the recipient's timezone. Any messages scheduled during this timeframe will be queued to send after 9am.
- On Saturdays. In-person shopping typically peaks on Saturdays and throughout the weekend. You may see a lower conversion rate when sending texts during this time.
- On holidays. Sending texts when people are with family or friends is certain to see a low conversion rate. Send these promotional texts far ahead of time during holiday seasons to maximize your sales.
How often should you send texts?
We've talked with a lot of ecommerce merchants who worry that texting their customers will seem annoying or intrusive, but the data suggests otherwise. Nearly 40% of consumers would like to receive texts 2-3 times a week from brands they signed up to hear from. Just remember to lead with value and keep it short and sweet.
When should you send emails vs texts?
Email and SMS don't have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, brands will see the most success when they balance the two channels together.
Email: Newsletters, blogs, company announcements, or promotions that include multiple products are best suited for email. You have more space to work with, plus you have more design flexibility.
SMS: The instantaneous nature of text messages, along with their short character limit, makes them ideal for quick, time-sensitive communications. When you want someone to take action now, send them a text.
When should you personalize your text messages?
It's never a bad idea to add personalization fields to your text messages. Even adding someone's first name to an after-signup text can make them feel like the offer was personalized for them. Just remember that these personalization fields eat into your recommended 200 character limit, so use them wisely!
What should you offer someone after they sign-up for texts?
SMS lists are gold, so when someone signs-up, you should make it worthwhile so they'll keep coming back for more. Some ideas for welcome offers include:
- A generous discount. If you planned for a 25% or more discount offering, now is the time to do it!
- Free shipping. Covering someone's shipping costs can encourage them to add more items to their carts.
- Free items. Offer to throw in a free item if someone purchases X dollar amount from your store. This will make a lasting first impression.
- Early-access. If you don't have a rewards program, you can use your SMS list as an early-access group. This gives a sense of exclusivity and may encourage more people to sign-up for your text marketing.
How do you grow your SMS list?
Because phone numbers are more personal than email addresses, growing your SMS list will require some creative thinking. Below are a few ideas that will help you boost your SMS sign-ups:
- Run a contest for subscribers exclusively on your SMS list and let your site visitors know. For example, sign-up to our text list for a chance to win a $300-off promo code.
- Add phone number capture fields to your popups. Using Privy, adding this capture field can be done in seconds, and you can even make it optional.
- Make SMS offers your best ever. This level of exclusivity will encourage more of your email subscribers to consider opting-in for text messages.
How many abandoned cart texts should you send?
Phone carrier policies mandate that only one abandoned cart text can be sent per cart abandonment. Privy will not send any text messages that do not follow this policy.
How do you get more SMS sales without offering discounts?
Offering coupon codes every time isn't a great strategy in the long run for your text marketing program. Instead, steal some of these ideas for sustained SMS sales:
- Flash sales. The spontaneity of flash sales can nudge someone toward a purchase, especially if these texts are personalized to your subscribers and their interests.
- Back-in-stock alerts. These are a great way to build FOMO, especially if you let people know that supplies for this item are limited while they last.